A little info.....

I am a self proclaimed "Wild Animal Trainer" and here are my stories big and small. In a house with 3 crazy kids and a military hubby a lot can happen! Come along for the crazy ride........

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just a spoonful of paint.....

I think it's about time I show you just how much a little paint can transform a space. When we bought this house most of the rooms were painted an awful flat builders grade paint.... boring. So we grabbed a million different paint swatches and began the process of choosing the colors for each room. I have heard that it can be a painstaking process with the possibility of a few marital spats. Somehow we managed to avoid that! It was like the skies parted, the angels sung, and he just agreed with every paint choice I had.... no it was really an easy process for us. We both completely agreed on all the colors. So then began the painting process, that was when the difficulty came into play. I knew it was too easy, luckily we make a great team and can express when the other is being a pain in the butt! It reminds me of my favorite movie quote.....

"Well that's what we do, we fight... You tell me when I am being an arrogant son of a bitch and I tell you when you are a pain in the ass. Which you are, 99% of the time. I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a 2 second rebound rate, then you're back doing the next pain-in-the-ass thing. " Hee Hee! It's so true!

~Office~
 So first was the paint color for his office/man cave. That was a color that I picked out for him as a little surprise.....                                                         
  Before
 


After

Did you know that Glidden has official NFL paint colors? Well I picked up Cincinnati Bengal Orange as we are HUGE Bengal fans. Let me say that you need sunglasses the room is very bright but with all of his manly items in there now, it looks good. 

~Dining Room~
For this room I had this vision of dark navy walls on the upper half, chair rail, and the lower half would be white with boxes (I think they are called picture boxes?). Then we worried that navy blue would be too dark and neither one of us had a clue on how to do the picture boxes. I was not following all the great blogs that I follow now and did not have the information on how to do it. Thankfully I have many different ways to do it and may attempt it in the future! The paint was a swatch from Walmart that we had matched at Home Depot. It was called Dusty Indigo and it's Behr paint.

Before


After


~Kitchen~
Then came the room I was most excited about, my new kitchen! See we have never had such a nice kitchen as we have mostly lived in the ghetto navy housing, or apartments both of which were built circa 1940. Of course I fell in love with this kitchen that had newer cabinets, nice tile floors, and NO linoleum! The color we choose for the kitchen is Behr Cherry Cobbler (yum right). Let me just say we learned a lot painting that kitchen...... like use paint with primer for the darker colors, and don't leave the tape on too long! 
Before


After
P.S. I am so in love with my new appliances! 


~Living Room~
The living room/video game area/family hangout/party central is a big room and was going to need a neutral color that would make it pop in a good way. So that meant no bright yellow or purple, I know I was disappointed too! Doesn't bright yellow just go with all the other Bold colors in the house? Any who.... we picked Toffee Crunch by Behr (are you seeing a Behr trend? Yup I am in love with Behr) and at first we wondered if it was too dark but we soon feel in love. I absolutely love the color in this room and really would paint everything this color but then it would probably be too much. So we just painting the living room, and followed into the eat in area. I think it goes well with the Cherry Cobbler and the names of the paint are super yummy. 

Before(aren't my models cute)

After





~Master Bedroom~
This room took the longest because by the time we finished painting all of the above and the not pictured entryway/hallway we were burned out on painting. Mind you our arms looked amazing and very toned! So just this past week we finally got around to our room. The color we picked was called Comforting by Behr. It made a huge difference. The room was one of only 3 in this house that were actually painted. It was a nice color but way to dark for what we wanted in our room. I mean between the dark furniture and the dark curtains we felt like it was sort of a black hole that you never wanted to be in. So we lightened the room up a lot and did it for very little money. I was able to keep the furniture, the lamps, and curtains so that was awesome. 

Before (looks darker in person)


 After




So there you have it. Some awesome ways that paint can transform a room. Also take note that most of our paint colors are food names Cherry Cobbler, Toffee Crunch, Baked Scone(hallway/entry way) and Toasted Wheat (master bathroom). What can I say we LOVE food! Thanks for checking out my paint choices and make sure to follow me :) My life as a wild animal trainer is never boring and I have tons of ideas for this new year. 


I am linking this to The Nester she has a wonderful website!



No comments: